How do I begin the retirement process?

-A A +A

Once you have a date of retirement in mind, you should contact the BCRS to receive a written notice of the amount of the estimated benefits to which you are or may be entitled. If you are a member in service or on an authorized leave of absence, you can apply to the Retirement Board no earlier than four months before your intended date of retirement.  The BCRS suggests submitting application and making an appointment one month before your intended date of retirement. The Board may ask you to submit birth certificates for you and your spouse, a marriage certificate, veteran discharge papers, affidavit of marital status and any divorce decrees.