Can I receive a refund of my contributions?

You may receive a refund of your total contributions if you have officially resigned your position and it is not your intent to accept another position of employment that requires membership in another Massachusetts contributory retirement system. It is important to note that if you receive a refund of your retirement contributions, we are required to withhold 20% for your federal tax liability. Alternatively, you can have the entire retirement contribution “Rollover” into a tax-qualified IRA.